Fire crews responded to a call of multiple structures on fire. Upon arrival, fire crews found three yards burning and flames advancing to structures.
Only one house received minor damage to the siding before the fire was extinguished. Witness reported that a Roman candle type firework was discharged from a passing vehicle.
After speaking to witnesses, Nixa Police Arson Investigator Billy Miller has located two persons of interest and an investigation is ongoing.
In a statement Friday, Fire Chief Jon Trent urged residents to remain vigilant, but recognized the drought conditions were not the cause of this incident.
"These yards did not spontaneously combust," he said. "Early indications are this was the direct result of a dangerous and malicious use of fireworks."
The Nixa Fire Protection District is reminding citizens that quick 911 notification, working smoke detectors in the home and always planning two ways out of every room are critical factors in the event of fire occurrence in your home or business.