(Springfield, MO) -- The Red Cross is helping a family that was displaced by a fire in southwest Springfield Friday evening.
Firefighters were called to the single-story home at 3435 W. Village Terrace around 5:30 p.m. That's near Ridgecrest Drive and S. Farm Road 131.
When crews from the Battlefield Fire Protection District arrived, the were met with heavy smoke from a fire that started in a child's bedroom.
It took crews about half an hour to put out the fire. It spread from the attic and floors of the home.
The home is now unlivable due to the smoke damage. The American Red Cross is helping the family to make sure their basic needs are met overnight.
It's unclear at this point what sparked the fire; no one was injured.