More than two dozen firefighters descended on the campus just before 7:00 o'clock Sunday morning to find smoke coming from the cafeteria of the Thomas Jefferson residence hall.
Once inside, crews found a fire in one of the cafeteria vents and were able to put out the smoldering insulation.
Investigators say there were no injuries and damage was confined to the vent area and boiler room.
All 150 students were allowed to return to the building later in the day.
Because of the holiday break, most students were just returning to campus, so very few were in the building that houses the cafeteria when the fire occured.